Friday, June 3, 2011

Our little adventure...

In about a month, we will be heading to Honduras.  It is hard to put into words how exciting that is.  The point of this blog is to document our time there and keep you updated.   We will try to do that everyday whether it’s dan updating, or me. My sister, katlyn, has been in Honduras now for 10 months. She is volunteering for an organization called Honduras Children which is a nonprofit that works with children in the small town of El Porvenir (read about it here.) In November, my family and I went to visit Katlyn for Thanksgiving. This trip was way more incredible than expected. Not that I didn’t expect it to be wonderful, but I guess I didn’t really understand the impact of what katlyn was doing.  (Read about what she has been doing here, and read her blog here.) .
  
 this is katlyn in El Porvenir..
    After that trip, I knew I had to spend some time there, definitely longer than just a week. And I knew I had to bring dan. The whole time I was there I thought ‘he would love this.’ When I got back and we talked about traveling this summer, we looked at different organizations but we couldn’t find any that was quite as perfect as the one in El Porvenir.  I mean, lets be honest… who wouldn’t want to wake up to the mountains behind them, and the beach at their doorstep? Perfection. 

kate and i with some ninos on the beach... literally right at her doorstep...
the view opposite the beach... seriously? perfect.
So anyway… we decided as we thought more about our trip, that we really wanted to be intentional with our time in Honduras. Really change lives. Really change our own. The Lord has brought the two of us together in these past few months of preparing for this trip in ways we could never have predicted. We have grown as a couple and we have grown in the Lord’s love.…  and the adventure hasn’t even begun.  We also want you to be involved in as many ways as possible. One of those ways is simply prayer. Please pray for our time there. We want our time to really mean something in the big picture. Secondly, we are really excited about some special projects. Recently katlyn has been helping out specific families in town with individual needs. One family of 5 with one mattress, was obviously in need for another.  So with the money one of the volunteers raised, they bought a mattress.  One family needed a fan, and another needed birth certificates. Simple things that change lives.  Dan and I want you all to be a part of that.  These families have incredible lives… hard lives.  Their stories, their needs, and the cost of some of their needs will be posted as time progresses and as Katlyn informs us of new stories. Please read some of these stories as they are posed under the 'special projects' tab.  Get to know the families, and if you feel led, please donate to these needs (information for donation will be posted under the donating tab.) You can also sponsor a child on the Honduras Children website (here.).  Please be a part of this journey.  We want you to be invested in their lives. Matthew 25 says, “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.”  That’s what we want to do for the 37 days we will be there.  So please help us out. Read along with us as we document our journey. Support these children, and if you feel led, support us by clicking this link.  This isn’t about us though, so please choose the kids and their families over us!  We are not worried, the Lord will provide for our funds while we are there.  Thank you in advance. You are so special to us.  Finally... here are some pictures of a few of the kids katlyn has been working with.









No comments:

Post a Comment